Carved stone figures above entrance of the Nazarenas Palace, Cusco, Peru
This former Inca building on Plaza Nazarenas was acquired by the Jesuits in 1644 and then in 1757 by the Nazarene Order. They converted it into a church and convent and it was used as such until 1977. It has since been restored and converted into a luxury hotel, the Belmond Palacio Nazarenas, which opened in 2012. These strange mythical beasts with human faces and serpent tails were added during the colonial period.
Photograph ID: Cusco2013D80
Photo © James Brunker, Magical Andes Photography. To purchase a licence please select an option using the Rights-Managed reproduction licence button above, for more details about licencing please visit: https://www.magicalandes.com/image-licencing
Model Release: No
Property Release: No
Photograph size: 20.0 Mpixels (57.3 MB uncompressed) - 5481x3654 pixels (18.2x12.1 in / 46.4x30.9 cm at 300 ppi)