Snakes carved in Inca stonework of the Nazarenas Palace, Cusco, Peru
This former Inca building on Plaza Nazarenas was acquired by the Jesuits in 1644 and then in 1757 by the Nazarene Order who converted it into a church and convent, it was used as such until 1977. It has since been restored and converted into a luxury hotel, the Belmond Palacio Nazarenas, which opened in 2012. The Incas believed the snake (amaru) was the deity that ruled the underworld; this part of Cusco was originally known as Amaru Qata.
Photograph ID: Cusco2015D99
Photo © James Brunker, Magical Andes Photography. To purchase a licence please select an option using the Rights-Managed reproduction licence button above, for more details about licencing please visit: https://www.magicalandes.com/image-licencing
Model Release: No
Property Release: No
Photograph size: 20.3 Mpixels (58 MB uncompressed) - 3676x5514 pixels (12.2x18.3 in / 31.1x46.7 cm at 300 ppi)