Restored main building of former railway station , Copiapó , Region III , Chile
The railway from Copiapó to Caldera was the first railway built in Chile. The entire route was officially opened on 25th December 1851, though sections started operating a year earlier. The "Copiapó" was built in 1850 by Norris Brothers in Philadelphia, USA. It is now on display at the Universidad de Atacama / Atacama University.